The Red Elementary Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) has established a scholarship program to help offset the cost of higher education for former Red students. The program is managed by the Red PTO Scholarship Committee, consisting of Red parents, faculty and stakeholders. Awards are given without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or national origin.
In 2021, one scholarship in the amount of $1,000 will be awarded. Applications are due no later than Monday, May 3, 2021. . The Winner will be notified no later than Monday, May 31, 2021. Money will be awarded to the student directly.
• Have a minimum 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA)
• Be enrolled or have been accepted in a full-time course of study at a trade school or an accredited 2-year or 4-year college or university
• Have successfully completed a minimum of two full academic years as a student at Red or be the child of a current staff member at Red.
• Application must be made within four years of applicant’s graduation from high school
Application will be live March 2021.
Applicants are solely responsible for gathering and submitting all necessary information. All information submitted is confidential and will be reviewed by Red Scholarship Committee personnel only. Students must:
• Submit a complete application form.
• Submit a one page, typewritten, 250-word or less essay on “Why I Deserve the Red PTO Scholarship.” Include in the essay a statement of financial need.
• Submit a minimum of two (2) recommendation letters by qualified adults who are not family members but can speak with authority to your attributes as a student and to your character. Examples include teachers/professors, coaches, club sponsors, administrators or staff, clergy, community leaders, etc.
• Submit proof of enrollment at a trade school or an accredited 2-year or 4-year college or university (e.g., copy of acceptance letter or enrollment receipt)
• Submit an official transcript (provided by your high school)
• Submit complete application package in person or by mail, postmarked no later than May 3, 2021
Mail applications to:
Red Elementary School
Attn: Scholarship Committee
Houston, Texas 77035
Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic achievement, participation in school and community activities, financial need, and recommendation letters. Scholarships awarded will be based on the Red PTO Scholarship Committee selection procedures and available funds. Not all applicants will receive awards. Any sitting member of the Scholarship Selection Committee will refrain from participating in the selection process if he/she is related to the applicant.
Scholarship recipient(s) will be selected by the Red PTO Scholarship Selection Committee. The committee will be formed each spring in time to review the applications prior to the end of the school year. All decisions are final. The Selection Committee may consist of Red parent(s), Red teacher(s), Red Stakeholder(s) and PTO Board Member(s).
The Selection Committee will conduct a blind review of applications. Members of the Scholarship Committee will score each application individually based on the weighted scoring system outlined below. The application with the most points will be deemed the winner and awarded the scholarship. In the event of a tie, the Committee will review high scoring applications and vote for the winning application.
The Committee will not award the scholarship to the same recipient in consecutive years.
Selection Committee Evaluation
School and community involvement (20 pts)
Personal essay (35 pts)
Financial need (10 pts)
Academic achievements (15 pts)
Two recommendation letters (20 pts)
Scholarship payments will be authorized by the Red PTO Board of Directors and processed by the PTO Treasurer. Checks will be made payable to the scholarship recipient no later than June 15.
OBLIGATIONS OF SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
Scholarship recipients must be enrolled in their education programs no later than the fall semester of the year in which their award is given.
The general conditions and procedures under which scholarships are made are subject to periodic review by the Red PTO Board of Directors, including termination of the program. The PTO Board will vote on the amount of the scholarship to be awarded each year in January.
Questions may be directed to the Red PTO at Redpto@yahoo.com